The Foundation’s Mission & History

Promoting historic preservation in the Florida Keys through education, advocacy, collaboration and stewardship ...


The Florida legislature established the Historic Key West Preservation Board as a branch of State government in 1972, later renaming it the Historic Florida Keys Preservation Board to reflect the expansion of its mission to all of Monroe County. The Historic Florida Keys Foundation incorporated as a direct-support organization to the Preservation Board by 1991. The Legislature abolished the State office six years later, and the Foundation took over its duties.


Applications for Grant Awards are a big part of what we do.  In 2015 we achieved:

  1. Certified Local Government Grant awarded for $39,100 to Monroe County for the “Monroe County Cultural Resources Assessment Update” financed with Federal funds from the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.

  2. Old City Hall: Special Category matching grant for $50,000 awarded to HFKF for the “Restoration and Protection of Old City Hall” sponsored by the Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the State of Florida.

  3. Historic Key West Armory: Small matching grant for $50,000 awarded to HFKF for “Historic Key West Armory Restoration” sponsored by the Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the State of Florida. Special Category matching grant for $144,000 awarded to HFKF for “Restoration and Protection of the Historic Key West Armory” sponsored by the Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the State of Florida.


Click here for more photos of these and other projects.


 

© Historic Florida Keys Foundation

Click here: Preservation Awards

Application2017.pdf

Armory grant work underway 2016

Old Key West, circa 1898

Old City Hall grant completed 2016

Old 7 Mile Bridge