Old City Hall

Originally a wood-frame building, Old City Hall was dedicated on July 4, 1876, during the nation’s Centennial. That building burned down in the devastating fire of 1886, and the City constructed the brick edifice between 1890 and 1892. The ground floor – with wide arches and supporting columns – accommodated market stalls, then fire engines. The upper floor, dominated by the City Commission chambers (the Commission still meets here), also housed City offices.

Monroe County acquired the property in 1965 to house its juvenile court. In 1974, the State of Florida acquired the building, and the Historic Florida Keys Preservation Board spearheaded its restoration. The bell tower, which had been removed, was restored in 1976 during the Bicentennial. Restoration efforts continued through the 1980’s, leading to the rededication of Old City Hall in 1991.


© Historic Florida Keys Foundation